Dipoles and a bit about loops

 I use both a halfway dipole cut for 15 meters and a dipole cut for the CW end of 40 meters for 15 meters. 

The dipole gives about 7 or 8 dBi gain broadside.The 40 meter dipole gives maybe  a bit more gain but in four narrow directions. If I did not need an antenna for 40 meters I would just as soon have two 15 meter dipoles at right angles.  I did something similar this year on 10 meters. I ended up with three dipoles, one NE/SW, one E/W and one N/S on a three position remote switch.  Sometimes switching gave me one or two S-unit increase with the right antenna. Peak gain was from EZNEC was almost 8 dBi and the minimum gain at any point was never more than 3 dB down from that with one of the three antennas and that was only at precisely two compass points. I have had large Yagis on ten metersand switching between these three dipoles felt like instantly swinging a Yagi! A dipole is a really good antenna if high and broadside to the desired direction. It is the nulls on any antenna that really hurt.The null off the end of a good dipole can be two or more S-units. Some longer wires have more nulls. I think nulls are bad and want to avoid having them if possible.


one note about loops. A Quad loop is never going to be more than two in phase dipoles spaced at 1/4 wavelength with their ends bent down to touch. Two in phase dipoles stacked at 0.6 wavelengths might give almost 5 dB gain over one dipole but with stacked dipoles at 1/4 wave the gain drops to about 1 dB. The Quad loop is definitely no more than that and I think usually a bit less. Other loops are going to be even worse than that.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some basic antenna info

Antenna Gain, dBi, and Radiation Angle tidbits

Radiation from an antenna